EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

Year 2000 Ford Contour. I am having trouble removing the

Customer Question

year 2000 Ford Contour. I am having trouble removing the light bulb from a third brake light of a year 2000 Ford Contour from its plastic holder. Actually I am using a light that from a 1998 Contour I got from a salvage yard. It is a mini bulb Sylvania 2723. Can not pull it out, broke one of the bulbs trying. Does it pull out light a Christmas tree bulb? I tried that but did not work. The instructions are vague but kind of shows a quarter turn but I tried that and did not work. The bulbs are like the mini bulbs from a Christmas tree light.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 19 days ago.

Hi. I am a Ford dealer mechanic and have not dealt with a contour in a few years. Is there any way you can upload a picture of the third brake light bulbs so I can see what you have going on?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Here it is

Ok thanks. THe bulb is supposed to just remove from the socket. A lot of times the bulb is frozen into the socket and breaks like you had happen. You may need to try and use some small pliers to grab the piece inside the socket and pull it out. Worst case scenario you need a new socket for the bulb. The bulb just pulls out. The socket is a 1/4 turn to remove from the lens.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Would I have to get the socket from the dealer?

I do not think so. Maybe. But I would try an aftermarket part store first, like napa. Or even online.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 18 days ago.

Do you have any more questions on this? IF so please let me know. Also rate the assistance provided to keep the question open for further follow up questions. Thanks.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist. Now, if there are no further questions on this, rate the assistance to help and close out the question. Thanks.