Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

How can I change my fuel pump relay, 173,000. Dont think

Customer Question

How can I change my fuel pump relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 173,000. Dont think truck is getting fuel. Changed the pump still nothing
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 Ford Expedition
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes changed the feel pump filter and change the feel pump itself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

If you take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter are you getting key on engine cranking power in and out of the inertia switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the inertia switch?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The inertia switch on your 2003 is located in the left rear quarter panel. See the link below. Check and see if you have key on engine cranking batter power in and out of it and let me know what you faind.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Inertia%20switch%20Oct%209.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible to call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

There is an addition charge for a live phone call of 26.00 Im pretty sure we can get this resolved with out having to spend this money if you can check the voltage in and out of the inertia switch and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are looking into it now will let you know
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay, if you find you have no power there while cranking the engine then its is likely the fuel pump relay but the relay is incorporated in to the CJB (interior fuse panel) and can not be replaced with out replacing the panel. Lets see if you have power in and out of it first and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have power on the green wire but no power to the red wire
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Did you try to rest the switch, if the switch is reset and you are still lacking power in and out of it the that means the switch has failed and needs to be replaced. Before you consider replacing it, press the button on the top of it and see if it clicks. If it dose then it should now supply power to the pump. If it dose not then its likely failed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No its not clicking.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay try unplugging it and install a jumper wire in the connector so both wires have cranking power, if so the pump should run and that would indicate the switch is bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No that did not start it. Along when we are cranking it I smell gas.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All so instead of along
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Did you have power in and out of the switch when you jumped it?

Did you hear the pump cycle on while cranking the engine over?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No did not here the pump cycle
No to the power in and out of switch
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay so you not getting power to the switch as you said you where in your previous response while cranking the engine?