Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator 4WD with 4 wheel ABS. I

Customer Question

I have a 99 Lincoln Navigator 4WD with 4 wheel ABS. I replaced front rotors, calipers, and pads. Bled the brake system, but can't get pressure. The pedal will go to the floor with pretty light effort. Replaced the master cylinder, bench bled before installation. Re-bled the rest of the lines, still can get a firm pedal. Can't find any leaks. Suspecting a problem with the ABS unit.
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: 185K miles on the car. Fronts are totally new. Rear are a few years old.
JA: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am a former mechanic. Multiple attempts at bleeding the lines and the parts listed in the first response I send including the master cylinder.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i think that is all that I can think of. Thanks.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In order to remove all air from the anti lock brake hydraulic unit (as it does sound as if air is trapped in it which is common with repairs like this here) a compatible scan tool is needed to operate the NGS program routine to drive the trapped air from the anti lock brake hydraulic unit.This is done first then normal brake bleeding is done from there.Here is the note on this:

NOTE: Performing the NGS program routine drives entrapped air from the otherwise inaccessible lower section of the 4WABS valve into the upper sections (accessible by bleeding the brakes). Subsequent bleedings remove the air from the system.

If once this is done the pedal still feels the same then I suspect the anti lock brake hydraulic unit is at fault needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete