Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Crank no start, already replaced cps, there is oil in icp

Customer Question

crank no start, already replaced cps, there is oil in icp plug, but wont start when pigtail is removed. no rpms while cranking
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: its a 2001 7.3 f250 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced cps. removed pigtail from icp. the truck was stalling and occasionally running rough. i changed the cps and it ran terribly and finally would not start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: lack of rpm points at cps, but i replaced with a good ford part. I was considering wiring may be bad and i know icp is bad, but should start with icp unplugged. i guess thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Do you have access to a scan tool to read codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just bought a obdii bluetooth device on amazon and i tried it with torque ap lite and no codes would come up even tho check engine light is illuminated and i unplugged several sensors. after online research it looks like i may have to input some more info in order to get data for this model?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Did you check the oil level in the engine and in the high pressure pump reservoir?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the engine oil level is good, but i didn't look in the reservoir. doesn't the fact that i show tach movement or cranking rpms still point to cps or wiring? or can something else cause this since my cps is a hall effect type and should usually cause rpm to go up while cranking?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
excuse me i show no tach movement or rpm while cranking just to clarify
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

That is a sign of a failed camshaft position sensor, perhaps you got a bad one, but check the large connector on the left valve cover, I have seen them rub through on the wire from the sensor to the PCM. I believe it is a light green wire.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, ill check that and get back with you hopefully tomorrow.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Okay, sounds good. My turkey I almost ready, Thanksgiving here this weekend and having friends over for dinner.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow, you are ahead of schedule! Enjoy, I'm on football and politics.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Baseball here and I feel for you with the politics.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just got a obd2 scanner app and my cel light is on but it shows no codes even with icp and ipr unplugged . (could just not be reading correctly. When cranking the live data shows no rpm, no hpop (but oil pressure guage on truck shows pressure), about 15 ipr, no fuel pressure, but fuel pump duty cycle gets a reading (i think that may be the priming of the pump when the key is first turned). I didn't get around to checking cps wiring yet.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Have you had the clips installed in the valve cover harness connectors?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i havent but ive heard of it.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

That may be your problem since it is so intermittent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was intermittent, for quite a while, but now it is permanent crank no start
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

I would check the large connector and if it is ok, I would remove the valve covers and check the connectors and install the clips.