Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2006 explorer ticking in engine at idle sounds like cam

Customer Question

2006 explorer ticking in engine at idle sounds like cam phaser description i have read
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: inside engine
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no just curious if th
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its a 2006 explorer xlt with 115K
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will not do the work myself. I just like to be informed when I take it to mechanic.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. Intermittent then, but now it is always there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, i;d like a ball park guesstimate on what this should cost to fix
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this affecting the running of your vehicle at all and has the check engine light come on with this issue here?

What liter engine is in your model here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the vehicle is running, no check engine light yet I don't know the liter size of the eng - is there a way I can tell?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Usually you can open the engine hood and see the liter size on a label near the radiator on the front of the vehicle on the upper radiator support or on a label stuck to the underside of the hood.

Let me know if you can find this,if not let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.0L
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.0L V6 EBND2A identity from sticker on rocker arm cover
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,your model has an intake tuning valve in the intake that can cause this noise here and in some cases the vvt solenoid.If the check engine light has not come on and the engine is not running poorly then this isnt affecting the operation of the engine here but can eventually fail needing replaced.You will need to have this inspected further to have the noise listened to a little more to locate which is the cause here.Once located then it can be repaired.In some cases the intake may need removed as well as the solenoid for inspection.I dont show an exact cost on this here but this can run around $300 to $600 for the part and around 1 to 3 hours labor depending on what is found out of these two components needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What say you Mr. Pete?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I posted an answer above,not sure if you received it so I will post it again here:

Thanks Pete