Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I I have a coolant leek on a 07 ford f150 5.4 V8, the leek

Customer Question

I I have a coolant leek on a 07 ford f150 5.4 V8, the leek is a stream and makes a hissing sound underneath the radiator toward the passenger side. the leek stops after a few mins when the engine is turned off. I can not pinpoint were the leek is coming from exactly
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: just started today few hours ago and sounds like the noise is coming from where ever the leek is
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I only plan on fixing it if its something I will be cable of, and I haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to connect a cooling system pressure tester to the reservoir and pressure test the cooling system?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

With out being there to see the location of the leak, I would suspect the leak is the radiator, the lower hose connects to the driver side so that rules out the hose on that side but a pressure test would allow you to pressurize the system and in able you to pinpoint it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. your estimate, a rough ball park answer how much would it be to repair at a repair shop if it was the radiator?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The labor to remove and replace a standard radiator calls for 1.4 hours and a new Ford radiator can run right at $200.00 for a Standard Engine Cooling radiator and right at $412 for a Super Engine Cooling radiator depending on which one you have. If you handy, replacing it is very likely something you could do. If you need the steps to do this let me know and I can send them as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I appreciate the information and advise, ill look into it and figure out if ill do the work my self or take it to a shop
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Let me send you the radiator steps just in case you need them. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help as well. See the link below for the steps. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/radaitor%20Oct%209.pdf