Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

99 e350. No high beams (and no high beam indicator) and no

99 e350. No high beams (and no high beam indicator) and no headlight warning chime. Fuse 30 is good with +13v
JA: Have you checked the bulbs and fuses?
Customer: new bulbs and fuse 30 is good
JA: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: bot?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Check fuse 10 in the interior fuse box, it should have power at all times. If power OK then remove steering column trim shrouds to access multi function turn signal switch. Check for power at the dark blue/orange wire, should have power at all times. Also check for any wires pulled out of connector there, very common for wire pullout from connector. If good power on that wire then turn on high beams and check for power at the light green black. If no power and wires not pulled out then replace multi function switch. If power than you have an open circuit between that wire and fuse 30.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Sorry I just read that fuse 30 had voltage, thought it just said fuse good, so disregard above

You have an open circuit after fuse 30. You will need to locate connector C234 and check for power at the light green/black wire at that connector with the high beams on. C234 is located on the drivers side cowl in the engine compartment. Click link below for diagram.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cq9hhywkg53oht/c234.pdf?dl=0

If good power there then you will need to locate connector C162 and check for power on that same wire with the high beams on. C162 is located near the battery, diagram at link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlx08hcg08ztlf7/c162.pdf?dl=0

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I won't be back in town to finish troubleshooting until next week. I made it through the firewall connector, but had to stop before the one near the battery. Am I just still looking for voltage? What does that wire do? Surely or isn't a large enough gauge to run the high beams alone. Also, is the fact that I don't have high beam indicator an additional clue?

Yes voltage with high beams on, that's the wire light green/black goes all the way to the bulb connector after splices. The high beam indicator is powered from splice after C162. The splice is in the harness that runs behind the grill near the hood latch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I'll look at C162 the first chance I get. That sounds promising. Does this circuit also control the lights-on, door open buzzer, or is that a separate issue?

Actually the buzzer is a separate issue, the warning buzzer module receives its input off the parking lamp circuit which is the brown wire coming out of the headlamp switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I should be back home tomorrow and I'll be able to look at C162, I'll find the open circuit and repair. Where is the buzzer located? I just purchased this van used, so I'm not as familiar with it as I should be. I say that because I am not sure WHERE the buzzer is, if it is still installed or was removed by a misguided previous owner. The seat-belt warning works, but I assume that is a different unit.

Ok sounds good. The buzzer is shared with the key, seatbelt and headlamps. Center of dash.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. At C162 (Which is under the battery tray on my vehicle) There are obvious wire repairs and an obvious frayed light green/blk wire. There are actually 2 light green/blk wires at this connector. If I inject +12v into the frayed wire, high beams illuminate (along with the high beam indicator). I can run a splice from C162 back to C234 to correct this issue I suppose. What is the 2nd light green/blk wire? Is one of them a return from the splice for the high beam indicator? I have included pics of the connector as I found it. I looks to be a mess!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is 18AWG appropriate for the splice?

18 seems a little thin for the circuit load, I would use at least 14 if not 12. The other wire should be for the high beam indicator. Glad you found it!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so very much for your answer!

Your very welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you offer any insight into why the key-in/door-open and door-open/key-off/lights-on warnings are not working? Again, the seat belt warning works fine

Very busy at work right now, I will investigate and reply asap

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kenny. Sorry to bother you. I believe I jostled something loose while working on the C234 connector, as my ABS light now comes on (and stays on) when I release the brake. What should I check?

No worries, each component, seat belt, key,lights supply an individual ground to the buzzer module. I would locate the module and see if any of the wires are cut first. Wiring diagram at link below. for the ABS, there is a light green/black wire and a red/pink wire that passes through C234 for the abs self test connector, you want to make sure neither of these wires is touching ground as it will kill the speed sensor signal to the abs module. There is also a dark green/yellow wire that passes through C234 and provides power to the low fluid sensor in the master cylinder, and finally a light blue/pink wire that supplies power to the abs module from fuse 1 in the interior fusebox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptsf9lluaqjweqn/chime.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
both the ABS and the high beams use a light green/black wire at C234?

Correct I just double checked. high beams is pin 37, abs is pin 55. Pinout at link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5h40erdktu4ev8/C234.pdf?dl=0