Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

97 f250 4x4 7.5 l e40d. Intermittent hard shifting.

Customer Question

97 f250 4x4 7.5 l e40d. Intermittent hard shifting. Occasionally goes into limp mode and can go out if limp mode by itself. Can also shut truck off while showing limp mode and will clear on restart. Also experience upshifts way to early. It can be in od before you hit 30mph. Vss has been changed and shift lever position switch on side of tranny has been changed. All of this is intermittent. This seems electrical but need to know where. Local shop is useless to finding the problem
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** are the codes that are stored in PCM that are causing the limp mode or harsh shifting?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Local shop says no codes. Its an Obd I and they can do nothing without a computer telling them whats wrong
Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

Since there are no codes its real hard to say for sure but from your description it could be a convertor clutch slippage fault or a solenoid body resistance problem. We see quite a few solenoid bodies go bad, also check the connector on the passenger side of the transmission and see if there is any green corrosion in there, if there is, replace both the solenoid and main connector to the transmision.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

Another possibilty is the PCM may be seeing a input that is telling the PCM that the vehicle is in 4x4 low when it really isn't, this would make the transmission shift real early.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

I would try inspecting the trasfercase wiring and disconnect the switch on the transfercase, and go drive it and see if the fault goes away.

Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

Let me know what you find, or if you have more questions just ask, thanks Scott

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you Scott I will give these ideas a try
Expert:  Scott W. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your business!!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
More info. I have discovered that if it wont shift into overdrive, if I stop and shift to park and back to drive it will now shift into OD.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 15 days ago.

It could be a shifter cable problem, the manual lever, linkage inside or manual valve problem. Or it could be a wrong input from the transmission range sensor not indicating the correct gear. Get a scan tool and see if the range sensor is reading the correct gear.