Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

About 6 months ago, my 1999 Ford Windstar van turn signals,

Customer Question

About 6 months ago, my 1999 Ford Windstar van turn signals, hazard lights, front and rear wipers quit working. The headlights, taillights and brakes lights, including 3rd brake light all work. Does the FEM and REM have to be programmed? I have access to OEM service manuals & schematics, the NGS STAR or a VCM if needed.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are there fusible links to check? What do I need to fix to get the turn signals, hazard lights, front and rear wipers working again?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Was the fuse that blew a #105 in the battery junction box?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I see that fuse, the ignition switch and that white/yellow wire feed the fuses' 9 and 14 in the fuse panel left side of dash and then instrument cluster, anti theft module, the auto lamp sensor, transmission control, compass, front electronic module, the overhead console and the electronic day/night mirror.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

The turn signals or exterior lights for that matter are powered from a few fuses are relays, here is the diagram, so check them all.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been 6 months so I cannot give you a definitive answer but 105 in the power distribution box is for the starter motor solenoid and ignition switch so most likely not. I replaced fuses to get instrument cluster lights and headlights working again.I have checked all fuses and relays. I have also replaced the FEM REM instrument cluster from a known working donor van.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

I did not say pdb, I said bjb

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no fuse 105 in the passenger compartment fuse panel. If you're referring to box in the engine compartment, Ford calls it the Power Distribution Box in their service manuals.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the battery junction box would be near the battery, so under the hood.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Why are you saying there is no fuse #105 in that underhood fuse box? I see a 105 in the diagram that you provided.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I see you actually did find it, but said, "but 105 in the power distribution box is for the starter motor solenoid and ignition switch". I said, that fuse feeds the ignition switch and that white/yellow wire feed the fuses' 9 and 14 in the fuse panel left side of dash and then instrument cluster, anti theft module, the auto lamp sensor, transmission control, compass, front electronic module, the overhead console and the electronic day/night mirror.

That is what I looked at first because you said, "vampire-tapped into the white with yellow stripe wire in the ignition switch and accidentally shorted it it to ground" so I looked up that wire.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Anyhow, moving on, now that exterior light wiring diagram, what did you find out while checking those fuses/etc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wanted to but didn't get the chance to check out the fuses but spent some time on the diagram you sent and noted to check the following:PDB (engine compartment)
006 FEM
103 switched symtem power, instrument cluster, REM
106 rear wiper
108 switched symtem power
109 switched symtem power
114 switched symtem power, FEM
119 REM
121 switched power system, FEM, REMCDB (passenger compartment)
10 instrument cluster
14 FEM
16 REM
28 instrument clusterLet me know if there are others you want me to check
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

That is just fine for now, be sure that you also check both sides of the fuse for voltage and some you may have to turn the key on for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mike S - my apologies for the radio silence. I travel for work and I've been out of town. I return home this Friday and will check these fuses.