A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Starter will not engage. Turn the key to start and I hear

Customer Question

Starter will not engage. Turn the key to start and I hear one click. Battery is good. I suspect it is the relay? Need to know the location of the relay on a 2008 F-250 V-10
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The truck is in "Park" It started fine this morning, but I drove to a location, stopped the truck and when I went to re-start, all I got was the one click. Even checked the battery terminals and jumped the battery. Nothing.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to avoid a large tow bill. My truck is at another location about 20 miles from my house and 10 miles from the nearest town.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thi is the first time this has happened. When I had arrived at the location, I put the truck in "park" shut off the engine and did my business. Went to start the truck and got the one click. Checked battery terminals and they were fine . Lights work strong, but we even jumped the battery.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 19 days ago.

The starter relay is in the engine bay fuse box. But it also could be the starter. Make sure you are getting power on the large red wire at the starter and then turn and hold the key to start and check for power on the smaller brown wire at the starter. If you get power on both wires, the problem is the starter. But if you do not get any power on the small wire, then the relay or there is another issue causing the problem.