kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I help a friend put a 2006 grand marquis engine in an 2003

Hi I help a friend put a 2006 grand marquis engine in an 2003 ford crown victoria police car but the car runs badly and blows out white or blue smoke. We kept the 03s wiring harness throttle body and computer. Should we have changed the intake even though the engines look the same?

Did you use the 03's injectors?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
we had to use the 03s fuel rail

How long have you let it run sense you have done the swap?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
maybe 10 minutes

What was wrong with the old engine?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sparkplug came out of head so we rethreaded head but car still wasn't running right we later on found out gas was going back into the intake and it ruined the motor

You need to drive the car at least around the block a time or two, come back and check the fluid levels and see if you have any leaks. There may be oil, coolant or other things in the exhaust system that will need to be burnt off.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I drove it twice about 100 yards and it smelled and looked like gas coming from exhaust

Did you have any fuel come out of the vacuum line to the pressure regulator?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
before we changed the fuel rail but we really didnt change the whole rail just the regulator and the sensor

Do you have fuel in the vacuum line now?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no not at the moment

Then the best thing I can tell you is that you need to pull the spark plugs out and see if any of them are wet with fuel.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They most likely are I put new ones in yesterday while that gas was going everywhere. I'll try new plugs. Thanks

If the plugs are wet, then we need to find out why.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The idle is unusually high too

Just putting in new plugs will not fix the problem if they are wet with gas. We need to test the injectors for injector pulse, as well as see if they are leaking. If you have a high idle, that is going to be a vacuum leak. That can be a gasket, broken vacuum line, or a vacuum line not connected, or the iac may not be working correctly.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the car also performs poorly

Can you pull the plugs out and see what they look like please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sure give me a sec

Make sure to keep them in order so you know what plug came out of what hole please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Its running good now Sir Thank you so much. None of the plugs were wet but we had a vacuum problem. and one of the coil packs were bad. Its not smoking as bad either hopefully it will completely go away. Thanks again

You are very welcome.