Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

I have stallion motorcycle trike with 2007 ford ranger 2.3

Customer Question

i have stallion motorcycle trike with 2007 ford ranger 2.3 liter engine. the radiator fan quite working, in turn made engine over heat. took to mechanic and he grounded fan so it will work all the time, i want to fix it to operate as normal. what do you suggest?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 15 days ago.

is the wiring, relays, fans, fuses from the trike or from a 2007 Ford and if from a Ford, what model?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i was told the engine came from 2007 ford ranger. i contacted the manufacture and was told to purchase a 2007 ford ranger wiring diagram manual which i have in my possesion but i am 80 years old and i cant make heads or tails about it. ha! ha! it has 3 relays that are bundled close to each other. i replaced the center one after i disconnected the gound wire that had been placed there by mechanic. the fan will work if it is grounded.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 15 days ago.

The cooling fan relay was in the battery junction block on the ranger as seen here,

Do you have this battery junction block (BJB) from the Ranger or just some makeshift relays installed somewhere?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 15 days ago.

From what I see the cooling fan relay is grounded through the pcm so if you can ground the cooling fan relay at the white/violet wire and get the fan to run, then the problem has to be with the pcm. It could be the pcm itself, or data it receives from anything else including the cylinder head temperature sensor.

Since that pcm communicates through data lines, I believe the next best step is to have those trouble codes retrieved and give them to me. You could try to rent or borrow a scan tool or at least a code reader.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this is over my abilities to do so i think i will take to ford garage and let them fix it i thank you for your time. will there be any charge for your advise?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 15 days ago.

That is up to you whether or not you want to rate me well so I get 1/2 of the deposit you had already made or if not, then you have the right to ask for your deposit back, but if you decide to just do nothing, I get nothing and your deposit will just sit there.