Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Steering problem with ford f-250. Wanders all over the road.

Customer Question

Steering problem with ford f-250. Wanders all over the road. Had Alignment, upper and lower ball joints, and steering box replaced. It's dangerous. I almost hit a divider and ran off the road on Rt 17 east in upstate NY. Having a second replacement box installed as we speak. The original box was replaced last eeek. 94,000 miles.
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: Fluids are good. Power steering pump is working and circulation fluid.
JA: What year is your F250?
Customer: 2002.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I started with Midas They did the ball joints. A week later it acted up in the NY incident. My local Mech is replacing the steering box again right now. From what I read on the internet. Other people are having these problems and no of the work I've had don so far had fixed the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 13 days ago.

It sounds to me as though your mechanics are not checking and finding the problem and just throwing parts at it. Any front end mechanic should be able to show you what is loose or worn out. If it is in the steering system, you should be able to turn the steering wheel left and right and have over a few inches of play in the steering wheel before the front tires begin to move and if so look at the steering parts until you find out the spot where something moves while turning the steering wheel and then all of a sudden something don't.

If it's in the suspension, then using a long pry bar while the vehicle is off the ground, with the suspension hanging free and no compression on the springs.

Don't ignore the rear axle, too. If it's loose it could cause the same things.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 days ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.