Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Replaced timing kit on 2004 Ford F150 without removing

Customer Question

Replaced timing kit on 2004 Ford F150 without removing roller followers or camshaft hold down. Lined up all the keyways on the cam phasers and the crankshaft using the OTC crankshaft positioning tool. But I'm reading in the service manual that if you didn't make sure the No5 cam lobe is coming up on the exhaust stroke that you can damage the valves?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cary York replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

I have never used any positioning tool for the crank on one of these. My info which I can post if you want me to, only concerns one with lining the marks on the sprockets with the dark links on the chains.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The problem isn't the crank's the fact that according to the repair videos I watched and the Ford Service says that the roller followers have to be removed and the crank adjusted until the lobs are facing up on the exhaust stroke. My friend who was working on it didn't remove any of the roller followers as outlined in the videos and the manual
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The Ford Service Manual says this: 6. The No. 5 cylinder camshaft lobe must be coming up on the exhaust stroke. Verify by noting the position of the 2 intake camshaft lobes and the exhaust lobe on the No. 5 cylinder.
7. Remove only the 3 camshaft roller followers shown in the illustration.CAUTION: Engine is not freewheeling. Camshaft procedure must be followed exactly or damage to valves and pistons will result. is the video series I watched where he removed the roller followers...My friend skipped all that and rotated the engine and replaced the Cam Phasers...then lined up the timing chain etc...
Expert:  A. Penland replied 16 days ago.

Can you please give me the VIN# ***** your 2004 F150?