sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

On the dash it says the car is running hot, but the engine

Customer Question

On the dash it says the car is running hot, but the engine radiator is cool.. Fluids are full no leaks anywhere.. The gage in the car says it's running hot??
JA: What is the color and consistency of the fluid? And where exactly are you finding it?
Customer: Green the fluid regular, not thick or too watery. The radiator fluid is where its supposed to be.. No leaking at all. A guy was able to open the radiator cap about 10 minutes from me cutting it off, and the radiator was fine. Not steaming at all.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Ford?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im with my brother. I just got an oil change a week ago.. I haven't tried anything. Spoke with two mechanics, both said it could he a faulty sensor, or the primary fan could be broken.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It cools off, im able to drive it, but then once I put it in park, the gage goes back to being hot again...
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cary York replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

What model is your Ford?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2008

2008 Focus, Mustang, Taurus, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2008 Ford focus

Does the A/C work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

We have 2 possible scenarios. One, it is not overheating but the gauge is wrong. Or two, it is actually overheating. When you turn the A/C on, do the radiator cooling fans come on? It may take a few seconds for them to kick on. Just raise the hood and watch for them to engage.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My brother turned the car off for about 20 mins allowed it to cool. Now the gauge is reading normal. Very weird?.?

Do the cooling fans work with the A/C on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure.. Were riding with the Windows down right now..
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

As mentioned it's possible that you're seeing an inaccurate gauge reading or the engine may actually be overheating. If the radiator is actually cool when the gauge shows that it's overheating then you have no flow through the radiator.

How was it determined that the radiator is cool when overheating?