Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2002 Escape that stalls and then dies when I put it

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Escape that stalls and then dies when I put it in reverse. After I put the vehicle in park and turn it off, start it back up, it will then go into reverse except that it jumps when I touch the gas pedal.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The check engine light is on and I've been told that's an emissions issue and my state doesn't have emission laws. It hasn't stalled while idling or while driving. I can tell when it's going to stall in reverse though. When I start the vehicle, it sounds like a weak start up. This only happens when the vehicle has sat for a few hours i.e. overnight or while I'm at work.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A friend replaced my alternator earlier this year and my tensioner pully.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jon Pell replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to resolve this issue fast as I understand it can be stressful! Please just allow me one moment to review the information!

Expert:  Jon Pell replied 1 month ago.

I have been a Ford tech for 15 years and I will ensure we get this resolved together! First we need 2 things. first may I get the VIN number so I can pull up the service history and repair information and also we need to see if there are any codes stored in the computer. Most parts houses like AutoZone will scan codes and give you a print out for free or let you rent a code reader for free if you can't get the vehicle down to the store. They also sell them anywhere from $50-100 they are always good to have handy. Just reply to this with the VIN and the codes that are stored in the vehicle and we can go from there so we have the most accurate information.