Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

97 Ford F-150 4x4 is stuck in 4 low. I have replaced both

Customer Question

97 Ford F-150 4x4 is stuck in 4 low. I have replaced both solenoids and the 4x4 selector switch to no avail. There is constant power to the solenoids but when I flip the switch the ground doesn't switch to active the 2wd solenoid.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you what I've tried.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 15 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Have you done any diagnostics yet on the GEM module, and the shift motor?

Can you do diagnostics with a scan tool and or volt meter?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can use a voltmeter but wasn't sure what to check in the GEM. If it was a problem with the shift motor wouldn't the solenoids still switch polarity? Meaning one open and the other close when you move the selector switch from 2wd to 4wd.

The solenoids which control the vacuum to the front axle are not going to activate until the transfer case shifts. They must get a command from the GEM module as the GEM module monitors the encoder built into the shift motor.

Can you do the test below.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 9 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris