Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2006 Ford Freestar PO446

Customer Question

2006 Ford Freestar
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

P0446 is indicating a concern with the canister vent solenoid circuit. The solenoid on the firewall is the canister purge solenoid. The canister vent solenoid is located at the rear of the vehicle, it is attached to the fuel filler neck. To access you need to remove the left hand rear wheel well splash shield. I would remove that and inspect the wiring for any damage. If none found then you can replace the vent solenoid. It is possible there is a concern elsewhere in the circuit or powertrain control module. To properly diagnose you would need an advanced scanner that can actuate the solenoid to test for power and ground signal from the PCM.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay I will do this now.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

Ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I cant get the part until 3:00 as soon as I get it I will install it and get back to you then.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

OK sounds good. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I installed the new valve and the light came back on and set the code again.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

Has to be wiring or PCM concern, as I stated before you need a scanner that can activate the solenoid for circuit testing.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
There is only 2 wires to the valve. Cant the wires be tested? The red wire has constant voltage so I assume the purple has a ground created by the PCM?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I grounded the purple wire and the valve closed so that is how it works. So I need to know which wire on the PCM operates the purple wire ???
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

same color wire pin #67

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Do you have a schematic of the plug with the numbers?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I fixed it. I ran a ground wire from the PCM to the valve and the engine light went out and stayed out. So the wire was the problem. I usually have good success with this service but I guess it just depends on the skill level of the tech helping me. You can ALWAYS test wires for continuity and voltage without an expensive meter or scanner. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 20 days ago.

Agreed, but if the wire ohms out then what? How can you test if the ground driver is working?