Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Are you going to actually respond if i type my problem,

Customer Question

are you going to actually respond if i type my problem
JA: No. I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: so... my 97 expedition just wouldn't start after just driving it it has a new ac compressor new serpentine belt new starter solenoid battery giving off power needed. litterally had the truck running for a day before adding the starter solenoid (put on last night to see if that was the problem) truck has power, when i turn my key over and hit my killswitch it still will not start what else could be the issue?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Ford Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 179977
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am, i had to put a new air condition compressor on i also put a new serpentine belt on on 10/5/16 i put a new starter solenoid and have only one code that popped up for a new intake air temperature sensor which i was going to add on today, ive had the starter and battery tested about a month ago and it passed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also got an oil change yesterday
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when is someone going to answer my question?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Just to confirm, the engine will not even crank when you turn the key correct? Or does the engine crank but fail to start? thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a kill switch to start my tuck the kill switch ticks when i push it to start the vehicle so im going to say yes the engine cranks but fails to start.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, rake the gear stick from L to P a few times, and try to start it in neutral as well. Let me know if that helps. It is wired through the neutral safety switch correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
im sorry what do you mean from L to P? im assuming gear stick is the drive park ect.ect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
im sorry i know i sound dumb. but what is the neutral safety switch?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

From L to Park, correct, rake the gear stick from P to as far past drive as you can get it, and then try to start it in neutral. The neutral safety switch is the item that prevents you from starting the vehicle in Reverse or Drive, it can only be started in P and Neutral. If the switch goes bad, sometimes it will prevent it starting in any position.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Have you tried to jump start it yet? just to be sure that didn't help.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i tried to jump start it before i changed my starter solenoid also before the solenoid i tapped the starter to see if that would help and the only way (one time thing) we got it to start so i could get it home was when we took a flat head to the solenoid ( hence why i changed it) i will try the neutral start when i get home from work!
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried to start in netrual still didnt start
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, Can you test the signal wire to the starter solenoid and see if it has power on it when you try to crank the engine ? With a test light or volt meter? It helps if someone can work the ignition switch while you check it.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

I can post you the wiring diagram. give me just a second. this is a 5.4 or 4.6 L engine?

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

i just looked at them, and they are the same on the starting system circuit regardless of engine size.

Check this diagram out, and if you don't have power to the signal wire at the starter solenoid when attempting to crank the engine, then see if you have it at fuse number 21 in the fuse box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have changed the starter solenoid last night all is good there and checked fuses and they are good . is that what you are asking?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Not exactly , I was wondering if you could check voltage to the solenoid signal wire either with a test light or volt meter. Do you have either a test light or volt meter by chance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No but im sure i have a friend who can check for me tomorrow or sunday?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, let's see if the signal wire to the solenoid has power on it when attempting to start, that is the first step on diagnosing it. Also, you could swap the starter solenoid with another one under the hood and see if that made a difference. Can you try that or have you already?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not tested that yet. But can sometime tomorrow or sunday.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, do you have the owners manual to the vehicle by chance?