Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Bucks and sputters when giving it gas. An O-2 code showed so

Customer Question

Bucks and sputters when giving it gas. An O-2 code showed so could not get emissions test done
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: I don't really think it uses any more gas than before .. It isn't driven much. It starts just fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 Ford Expedition
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to get emission test and they said it had a code. Told me to drive it . Does good when going slow but when you start giving it gas, she bucks and spits but will finally get the speed up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The ac did quit working awhile ago but don't think that has anything to do with it reading and oxygen sensor code
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

It sounds like your catalytic converter is clogged which will make it run like you are describing and set oxygen sensor code. Completely remove front oxygen sensors from exhaust to see if it runs better, if so you know converter is clogged and needs to be replaced. Let me now how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Will check this but once gets speed it runs good just wants to buck and spit tilgets speed up. A service light will flash off and on. sometimes goes off sometimes stays on
Expert:  Dan replied 18 days ago.

It definitely sounds like a converter problem, when check engine light flashes it means there is a cylinder misfire. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.