Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

I have a 2003 ford explorer and have oil leaking on my front

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford explorer and have oil leaking on my front passenger tire. I am in need of an oil change. Could it be leaking because the oil filter is full?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i used a bottle of lucas stop leak so far and capped off the oil level because it was low
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Which engine size do you have in this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
v6
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have a v6 engine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok

The oil filter is always full of oil. It cleans the oil as the engine is running. So, the fact that you need an oil change has nothing to do with the oil leaking on the tire.

Are you 100% sure it's engine oil leaking on the tire? Also, is it inside the tire or outside the tire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I positive it is leaking oil. I can see it on the inside of the tire.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was driving yesterday and realized the oil had completely drained out. I did use a bottle of Lucas stop leak and refilled the oil reservoir with oil.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Ok

I would suspect either the oil filter itself to be leaking oil, or the oil pressure sending unit. This is the most likely to push oil out onto the tire. It has to be a leak that is being forced to get all the way to the tire.

I am not 100% sure what you mean by filing the oil reservoir, the engine oil should go directly into the engine through the oil fill on the valve cover on the engine.

I suspect though that the oil stop leak may not solve this issue for you if it's the oil sending unit causing the oil to get on the tire to be honest.

I would start the truck and look under it to see if you can actually see the oil spraying over to the tire from the engine, but I do think it has to be the sending unit getting the pressure out to there.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so my oil gauge on the dashboard is fine, but if this sensor is faulty then this could be the source of the leak on my tire??
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, because the oil sending unit actually is threaded into the oil pump. Sometimes they rust out or split and since they are reading direct pressure, they are under a lot of pressure and the oil will squirt right out. This is about the only thing I can thing of that would actually spray oil all the way out to the tire.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

I haven't heard back from you, do you need further assistance with this?

Did you find the problem?