Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

2010 Ford Fusion is making a loud rattling sound when i put

Customer Question

2010 Ford Fusion is making a loud rattling sound when i put it in Drive or Reverse, The sound seems to go away if the car is in Park or Idiling. You also cant hear it when you start to Accelerate...
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

Does it sound like a kind of grumbling rattling noise?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Grumbling Rattling Noise?
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

The noise you are getting, it sounds like a worn motor mount, and they tend to sound more like an exhaust grumble than anything else. Is that what it seems like you are hearing or is it more of a something is loose type rattle? Sorry, noises are hard to communicate well here.

Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

Do you plan to repair it yourself? If it is a torn motor mount they aren't terribly hard to replace.

Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

Which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Sounds more like a rattle. It's extremely loud, i can hear it inside the car, but only when the vehicle is in Drive or Reverse.
You dont hear it when its in Park or when you start to accelerate, but Immediately upon stopping you'll hear it.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The car Drives and Shifts normally otherwise...
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

Do you have someone that can watch the engine while you shift it from drive to reverse to park? Watch for the engine to jump more than a few inches in any direction and make note of which gear makes it jump more. In other words does it move more when shifting to reverse or drive.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Also the car has 136,000 miles...I don't think so.. It doesn't seem like it.
Just sounds like a loud rattle.
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

Which engine do you have?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It's a 2.5 Liter
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I also noticed that when i drove to a different store just a while ago, at first i didn't hear the noise, then when i came to a stop light, I noticed a small sound, But not extremely loud as it was before
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

It's not the AWD version right?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not sure which one, but i know its definately not the AWD Version....Im buying it from my father n law.
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

It's really hard to say what it could be. I have about 15 of these cars in my fleet and haven't had any common rattle issues other than motor mounts. We have changed all of the motor mounts on almost all of our fusions at some point. They make rattling noises when they go out. We have also seen the plastic cover underneath the car come loose and make a rattle as well. Other than those two items, they seem to be fairly quiet running cars.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What things would you recommend me checking before taking it to a shop.
Expert:  Jared D replied 22 days ago.

I would inspect the front motor mount for signs of rubber flakes or cracks, I would look at the rear mount (transmission mount) on the driver's side of the engine compartment for rubber bits and cracking as well, and then I would check for any loose plastic paneling in the fender wells and underneath the front of the car. Bang on the panels with your hand and listen for similar noises to what you are hearing. Then run the engine while you listen near the belt area. If the noise can be heard coming from the belt area (the passenger side of the engine) then you might have a bad belt tentioner not holding the belt tight enough, but this will usually not sound like a rattle unless the tentioner is really bad.

Expert:  Jared D replied 20 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 16 days ago.

Hi, do you still need help with this?

If not, please don't forget to rate.