Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2007 Ford Edge with towing package. My wife hit a

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford Edge with towing package. My wife hit a deer and it broke the cooling fan assembly. I've replaced it with a new assembly. Now the fans won't come on at all. I've tested the fans with direct power and they both come on. I'm also getting voltage at the plug going into the fan control module.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I believe the next step would be to retrieve the trouble codes to see which may refer to this problem because the pcm relies on a sensor to control that module and turn on the fans.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a P0480
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Perform this PINPOINT TEST KN

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I'm getting 12.7 volts on the first test. I don't have a 1.6 ohm resistor for the next step.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Skip that test then. Or go to radio shack or somewhere and get a 1.6 ohm resistor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. On the next test of checking resistance between pin 4 and ground with the key off and pcm connector disconnected. I assume that means unplug the pcm at it's connections?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, it said "PCM connector disconnected"

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I get 1 on my multimeter. But it shows 1 before I ever touch it to anything. When I touch the leads together, it jumps to 4 and goes down to 0.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

1 what? ohm? if you zero the meter first then try again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Even so if the reading is less than 10k ohms, that's 10,000 ohms, "REPAIR the short circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test." That was test KN6, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Test KN5 no voltage from pin 4 with key on engine off with pcm disconnected.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Kn6 no resistance in pin 4 with pcm disconnected and key off.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

So you meant 1 volt?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Why would you be jumping your multimeter leads together when on dc volts?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

You got me confused now. You said you were checking resistance, that's step kn6, then you say kn5, that was the voltage test.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the ohms setting my multimeter read 1 as soon as I clicked it over to ohms. When I touched the leads together it jumped to 4 ohms and then zeroed out.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I checked volts first (kn5). Then checked resistance (kn6).
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, no voltage at kn5 is less than 1 volt. and the answer to kn6 is less than 10,000 ohms, so REPAIR the short circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, so basically I'm chasing wires now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Let's back up here, at first you said 1, which I assumed meant 1 ohm, then you said no resistance. What did you mean by no resistance? zero? or infinity such as an open?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

If you meant zero, then that white/blue wire is shorted to ground. That is what I interpret from that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.