Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities

I got the lock light this morning and had to get a jump

Customer Question

I got the lock light this morning and had to get a jump start, after driving 30 mins to work and stopping for coffee.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the one with the car and a lock symbol over it
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2011 ford escape
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what is MINI
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no...
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 23 days ago.

Hi. Do you have to jump start the vehicle often?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
but it really only takes a about a min before it shows as being 100% charged. It was tested the other day before being jumped and showed almost full capacity.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 18 days ago.

Having to jump start often indicates that the battery is not in good condition. Using a voltmeter the battery may indicate that it has the correct voltage, but if the battery can not hold the voltage in it long enough to start the vehicle then it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Nope, battery is fine. Almost perfect. Had it tested.

Ok. A perfect battery does not generally require constant jump starting. I will opt-out and maybe another tech has an idea.

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 17 days ago.

Most likely something is amiss in the anti theft system and the computer is doing its best to prevent theft, most common problem is a faulty key not being recognized. Try an alternate key, if available, otherwise key needs to be reprogrammed at FORD. Please rate my service, I will continue to answer your questions until you are completely satisfied with my answers.