Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

I have an air conditioner pulley bad.I need to bypass the

Customer Question

I have an air conditioner pulley bad.I need to bypass the air conditioner with another size belt. I have a 6 cylinder Ford Taurus. What size would it take? Thanks, Larry
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: I need to bypass the air conditioner with a shorter belt. What size do I need?
JA: What year is your Taurus?
Customer: 2002 6 cylinder
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Right now I just need to bypass the air conditioner to get the car home. I am doing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

We, (the experts) are only paid by your positive ratings.

Because of the way that the belt is routed, bypassing the AC compressor would not work, the belt would hit the tensioner pulley. Please see attached diagram.

However, with a belt being $30 or $40, you may want to install a bypass pulley, ($39) at autozone. That goes in place of the compressor and you can use the same belt. Here is a link to it, thanks

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-compressor-bypass-pulley?filterByKeyWord=ac+bypass+pulley&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&model=ac