Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L v6 XLT 2wd manual that I

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L v6 XLT 2wd manual that I replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, master and slave cylinder. I bench bled before installing the master cylinder. After getting everything back together, I drove it around the block and before I got home, I wasn't able to put the truck in any gear. The truck wants to lunge when I try shifting into 1st. It will shift fine with the engine off but It won't crank though if I try to start in 1st. I know it's probably something I did wrong when I was putting everything back in. Any suggestions?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: The only reason I changed the clutch was because the pilot bearing had broke so since I had to take the tranny off anyway, I went ahead and did everything. The truck has 181,000 miles.
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing it myself. I think its the way the clutch engages/ disengages but before I go taking the tranny back off, I want to make sure there wasn't a simpler fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

see if any fluid is leaking. if you were able to shift immediately after completing the job but soon after something went wrong perhaps something sprang a leak.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No leaks and no change in fluid levels.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

have someone else press down on the clutch pedal while you lay underneath the vehicle and watch to see if the clutch applies and releases.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did you try that yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wont have another person till after 5:00 EST. Thats the first thing I'm going to try.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Any news?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can see the slave cylinder and clutch moving when pressing the clutch pedal. Now the truck wont turn over at all now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did the battery drain and go dead?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im thinking it has something to do with the Anti-Theft because the battery, solenoid, and alternator are putting off a good charge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Is there a security light on or flashing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The THEFT light always flashes every few seconds. The other day went I was trying to the truck started, it started a rapid flashing and the truck would not start. I thought maybe the code on the key wasn't good anymore. I cleaned up the battery cables and ports to see if that would help. The truck cranked right up drove it around the block to make sure the clutch was good. That's when it stopped going into gear.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

If the key has a chip in it, try cleaning the key.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.