Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Speedometer only works in low range, 2003 f150, yes, in high

Customer Question

speedometer only works wright in low range
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: in high range speedometer only go up to 20-25 mph
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?

Let me know so we can continue from here on this.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
f150 4.6 ld
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

O.k.,your vehicle uses a vehicle speed sensor located in the tail shaft of the transmission.Since the vehicle speed reads o.k. in 4 low but not in 4 high this can indicate that the fault is mechanical in the transmission in most cases.The load from 4 low is allowing the sensor signal to operate properly with the component in the transmission to operate properly in 4 low but in 4 high the tone ring/gear or internal component in the tail shaft of the transmission is wandering or loose or worn causing incorrect speed readings.

I dont suspect the cluster gauge itself or the speed sensor or wiring from the sensor because this issue would occur at all times in 4 high or 4 low if this was the case here.I suspect an internal mechanical fault in the tail shaft components in the transmission causing this issue here needing inspected and the affected components replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
the low light is on all the time to
tranfer case sem to shift ok even in
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Is it in 4 low now and if so does it shift hard like it is actually in 4 low?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
no it shifts from*****to 4wheel drive seam smooth go into low range seam good 4x4 came on when shift in but low light stay on
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

Are you saying you were not shifted into 4 low but it showed 4 low when shifted into 4 high?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
i shift into 4 high speedo works same as*****went i went into 4 low speedo worked ftne seam like
seam to shift fine in out of*****and low to hight
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
low light stay on all time
Expert:  Pete replied 23 days ago.

O.k.,This does sound like one of the mechanical components in the tail shaft housing area on the transmission is the cause here.I have seen the ring that the sensor reads fail or become loose internally causing this fault and it may be when in 4 low this is putting more strain on the transmission components allowing proper operation of the speed signal.

The components in the transmission need inspected for any issues.It is possible this is an internal transfer case fault as well but usually this is not the case if it shifts in and out of*****properly.

If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool at all this needs done to see if any codes are set.If any codes are set the codes will help diagnose and repair this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete