Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

98 f-150 Dull clunk intermittently at low speeds/coasting.

Customer Question

98 f-150 Dull clunk intermittently at low speeds/coasting. Very noticeable in my parking garage up/down ramps. happens coasting in neutral as well. Replaced tierod ends to no avail. Caliper issue? Shock issue? U Joint? No sign of it at high speeds.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tierod ends, idler arm recently replaced.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 235 ,000 4.6L v8
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 4X4
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No pattern as to when the noise occurs.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 24 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Where on the vehicle does the sound seem to come from?

Is this a single noise or a repetitive one?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Single pop/clunk noise seems to be from the front passenger wheel assembly. Not impacted by turning. No pattern. Sometimes driving 30mph for miles with stops and starts without occurrence. Sounds is more faint but occurs more frequently coasting at very low speeds. Much louder when cresting the ramp in my parking garage.

Have you checked the upper and lower ball joints and the control arm bushings?

So far this sounds like a broken stabilizer bar end link.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ball joints aren't pretty but No play in the tire when jacked up. If I'm not mistaken, the end links would be making noise every little bump I hit. This is not the case. One distinct noise w somewhat unpredictable timing.

Exactly how were the ball joints checked?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Jacked up. Shook tire w a hand at 12 and 6. No play. Boots are past their prime. No binding on turns

The ball joints are loaded up with tension with the vehicle off the ground. That procedure will only check the wheel bearings. You must jack up the front end with the jack under the lower control arm as close to the back side of the tire as you can get it. Once the tire is 1 inch off the ground. Hold the knuckle and control arm with one hand at the upper and lower joint while trying to lift the tire up using a pry bar under the tire. You should feel NO SLACK.