Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

I have a code p1299 on my ford escape hybrid. I haven't rest

Customer Question

I have a code p1299 on my ford escape hybrid.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I haven't rest it because I have been having a service engine light intermittently but it has finally logged a code.
JA: What year is your Escape Hybrid?
Customer: 06
JA: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm fixing it myself all I have done so far he is pull the plug on the cylinder head temperature sensor and check for corrosion
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

When the P1299 sets, this is most commonly a faulty CHT Sensor. These are fairly common fail items. Make sure the coolant level is correct. Make sure there are no leaks in the system (internal or external, so a pressure test would be best here). Make sure there are no blockages in the system (heater core, radiator, etc). Make sure there are no loose, broken or damaged wires to the CHT. If these all check ok, replace the CHT Sensor. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've checked the sensors and there is no corrosion. The coolant is full. There is no compression in the cooling system. There are no external coolant leaks. The water pump is turning. But couldn't check flow. I don't have my coolant pressure tester with me right now. When the code set the coolant temp logged 250'. After the code logged the engine shut down. Now there is a miss. I unplugged the coils one at a time and could not narrow down the miss. The miss goes a way if the throttle is more then 50%.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not replaced the cht sensor. It had to be ordered in.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Download the Ford diagnostic flow chart for P1299 here: https://goo.gl/079uR7

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you were making out with this? Anything else I can help with on this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I figured out that the miss was a shorted out coil. As far as the cht sensor every thing look ok. From now I as going to run with out changing it.if it gives me problems in the future I will change it
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

That's great news! Glad to hear you got it all worked out!