Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2006 ford f-150 (5.4L) has been idling rough and some

Customer Question

my 2006 ford f-150 (5.4L) has been idling rough and some hesitation during acceleration. Now it is dying at idle.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: consistent
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. The ODBII code P0506 just started coming on. All I have done so far is clean and recharge my K&N air filter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Start with checking for any vacuum leaks or any problems with the air inlet ducting being loose or damaged. Also be sure the air filter housing is sealed properly and that the air filter is the correct one.
If no problems are found with the air filter or air inlet, check the throttle body for excessive build up of carbon or soot. If you can see carbon inside the throttle body (you will need to push the throttle plate open by hand to see inside) then the first thing to do would be a good throttle body cleaning.

This will usually take care of it, but if the throttle is too gummed up and you can't get it to come clean then you may need to replace the throttle body.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you still need help on this. Please don't forget to rate.