Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

1999 ford 250 4x4, if you bypass al gem and relays ect. and

Customer Question

1999 ford 250 4x4 , if you bypass al gem and relays ect. and connect transfer motor dierect should you hear it clunck in mine just seems to run hummming????
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

If you directly apply power and ground to the shift motor, yes the motor should turn and change through the gears, however it will not know where to stop when doing this so I would not attempt to drive it this way because it will be partially engaged in gear (4 high-4 low). Are you needing the 4x diag steps?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
shouldn't I hear a cluck when motor engages . I not not > I know not to drive like this with out a double throw swithc to bypass all relays and gem but question is show hear a cluck of engatement and not just the motor seems jjust to run with no click in?

The noise comes from within the transfer case, not from within the motor. Are you remote powering and grounding the motor with it on or off?

The clunk will only occur if the is alot or a slight amount of stress or bind inside the transfer case. If all the gears are lined up, it can shift from 2 to high to low without making much to any sound.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris