Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist

I noticed the flashing red lock light is flashing in my Ford

Customer Question

I noticed the flashing red lock light is flashing in my Ford Escape. I don't believe it usually does this.
JA: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?
Customer: It looks like a lock. It is on the left hand side of the dash. And it is blinking.
JA: What year is your Escape?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am trouble shooting myself. I went out and put the key in and did a partial turn of the key but didn't start the vehicle.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. Just wanna know what it means.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 19 days ago.

Hello, is this light flashing when engine running and you are driving?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Not sure. It's parked.
Expert:  Randall C replied 19 days ago.

Does it start and run? have you tried this

Expert:  Randall C replied 19 days ago.

Ok, I too own a Mazda Tribute, same vehicle. That light is the antitheft light, By design it is to be blinking with key off and parked, This is to be a visual deterence for anyone trying to steal the SUV, That light starts blinking after you turn engine off and remove the key. It will blink all the time till you start it up and the light will go out, This is 100% normal , The only time there is a problem is when the light is blinking after you start it and or it does not start which then means a problem with the chipped key or sensor and it is in antitheft mode and computer prevents it from starting, This then takes a bit of diagnostic /scanner etc etc to find out the problem, Could be just the key so try another or the sensor or another antitheft issue