Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 2008 Ford Escape AWD. When you put it in drive it

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Ford Escape AWD. When you put it in drive it makes a high squealing noise.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I think it's coming from the transmission. If you put it in neutral or park it quits making the noise. It happened once and I parked it.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, it's at a shop. One mechanic said change the torque converter, another says the transmission is gone and another says do a transmission flush first. The transmission oil is not bad, or dark and it does not smell burnt.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 28 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The torque converter is most common to cause this here.If this was a transmission internal fault usually it would occur at all times and hard or rough or no shifting would occur.Same if this was a fluid issue it would occur in any gear.

When the vehicle is in drive a load is put on the torque converter and one that is failing can cause a noise like this here with it needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
What exactly happened is this, I came to a stop light and once it turned green I pushed on the gas pedal and it the car jerked, almost felt like I got hit from behind. I continued on and drove for probably another 3-4 miles, got to my daughters house, went to put it in reverse and it jerked a little bit, made a squealing noise, put it drive and it was ok for about 30 seconds, and started making that noise again, I put it in neutral it went away, put it in park and it came back and I pulled into a oil changing place, they checked the transmission fluid, it was not burnt or smelled funny, it was not low. We towed it to a mechanic shop. Can you change just the torque converter? If so,is there a risk to changing just the torque converter out?
Expert:  Pete replied 28 days ago.

This can still be the torque converter itself as I have seen before needing replaced but in some cases it can be the transmission fluid pump as well.Usually though if it is the pump there would be shifting issues but it is possible.

You can just change out the torque converter if found to be the cause with no other transmission components needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete