Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2000 f150 xlt pick up with a 5.4 l triton. When

Customer Question

I have a 2000 f150 xlt pick up with a 5.4 l triton. When going from drive to reverse the idle drops to 500 rpm and then lower most often stalling but occasionally recovers and jumps back up to 600 rpm. Also stalls when braking somewhat abruptly. Changed the IAC, Cleaned top end, cleaned MAF and intake air temp sensor. No engine light.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, is all of this just happening in reverse? how do it drive in the forward gears?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Drives fine in forward gears until braking abruptly. For example driving at 45 mph, slow down to pull into parking lot and stop, engine will stall. Pulling very slowing and stopping softly its fine. Runs great otherwise.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Going from park to reverse it never happens only from drive to reverse and while braking abruptly.

ok. well since reverse uses the highest pressure of all of the gears, you may have a reverse solenoid issue or a line pressure issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then why does it occur in drive when braking? I do feel that there is a connection with the transmission.

You'll need to have the line pressure tested. the pressures should stay at spec at all times. it seems that they arent doing that at slow speeds.

have you unplugged the maf and tried going into reverse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I have not. I originally had a maf code and cleaned the sensor and cleared the code and it has not come back.

try it when you can

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same result.. from drive to reverse idle bogs down

have you checked the tranny fluid color and smell?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tranny fluid is clean. Perfect.

I need you to drive up a hill and stop. Now place it in neutral and roll backwards about 3-5 mph and place it in reverse while rolling. If it does not stall then hit the gas a little and see if it accelerates in reverse. If it will then start slowing down to a stop while remaning in reverse. If it stalls when you come to a stop then you have a concern in the trans with the torque converter clutch locked up or the reverse clutch faulty and using to much fluid pressure from a internal leak and starving the converter clutch thus makeing it engage