EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

I have 2004 ford ranger xlt. My dash lights were dull on r/h

Customer Question

I have 2004 ford ranger xlt. My dash lights were dull on r/h side so i removed cluster to change bulbs to find part of printed circuit board was damaged. when i put cluster back in i had no dash lights including heater control lights are now also not working. I purchased a second hand dash cluster checked bulbs and fitted to car but still cluster lights and heater control lights are not working. I have checked all fuses located just under steering wheel on r/h side. Do you have any ideas or is there another fuse box anywhere?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 28 days ago.

Hi. There should be another fuse box located under the hood in the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I seen that it looks like relay type fuses and as far as i could see they looked ok

For the instrument cluster lights and the heater lights to not illuminate, there are 3 fuses that could be at fault. They are all in the interior fuse panel. Check fuse 1 (5amp), fuse 7 (5amp), and fuse 31 (20amp).

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
All those fuses are all ok

Ok. Have you tried just turning the dimmer switch up? Maybe it got turned down.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
tried that. Have just replaced ALL the fuses with new ones just in case but still no joy. When I plug old damaged cluster in one light flickers on/off so power is getting through. Have also replaced all bulbs in replacement cluster to be on safe side but still nothing lights up.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 27 days ago.

Ok. Do fuses 1 and 2 in the interior fuse panel have power when the headlamp switch is tuned on? You will need a test light to check .

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
fuses 1 & 2 have power. I also checked power coming fro dimmer switch and it also has power.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 25 days ago.

You may want to consider purchasing the wiring diagram for the illumination for the circuit so you can trace the wires and see where the power flow has obviously stopped. You can get wiring diagrams from this website.

Or also check for power at the HVAC controls and see if the illumination power is there when the lights are turned on.

Looking at the diagram if the 4x4 switch lights or audio unit dims when the lights are on, then the hvac controls should light since they are the same circuit.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ye stereo & clock both dim when lights are switched on. Also managed to try new dash cluster in a friends Ford ranger and it all lights up perfect in his just not in mine.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 24 days ago.

Ok. Sounds like in your vehicle power is not reaching the connector on the instrument cluster and the hvac unit. These circuits are spliced together. Possible poor connection at the splice.