david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 07 expedition shutsoff it won't start just idle a few hrs

Customer Question

My 07 expedition shutsoff it won't start just idle a few hrs later it will start fine for a few more days and shutoff again,it's not the fuel pump or starter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, when this happens do you get a check engine light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No,it just shutsoff, it cranks for a few seconds and shutoff.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The next day it will start and work fine,no engine light no nothing,after a few days it shutsoff again

man intermittent problems are sooo difficult to diagnose, especially online. i wonder if the ignition switch is overheating at times.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would that shut the engine off?

absolutley

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I really wouldn't know if the switch is over heating.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Right before it completely shutsoff, it feels like no gas is going in,almost like if you're running out of gas,I took it to a shop and the checked pump and filters all was good,good pressure,no codes.

let me see if there are any tsb's on this issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cool

what engine is in that thing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a 5.4.

5.4 triton 3v?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a triton,not sure on the 3v,I checked the engine it just says triton

its a 3V if its a triton........

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

Ford sued over latent defects in vehicles equipped with the 5.4L engine

Ford Motor

Posted on January 10, 2013

The complaint alleges that between 2004 and 2008, Ford manufactured, assembled and marketed a host of products containing latent defects.

Since calendar year 2005 and up until 2012, the Defendant has been aware of consumer complaints regarding a Class of Vehicles (equipped with the 5.4L engine) identified and described more fully below. These complaints have been made directly to Defendant and/or submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”), Office of Defect Investigation.

This Class of Vehicles suffered from defects in design and/or manufacture, which has led to the following performance and safety issues: acceleration hesitation, loss of revolutions per minute (“RPM”), stalling, loss of power (including loss of power at high rates of speed), sudden and intermittent deceleration and other similar and potentially life-threatening malfunctions (hereinafter referred to as “Engine Problems”).

The Engine Problems are the result of defects in the following vehicle systems and components: the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and/or the Throttle Body Assembly.

In August 2008, as proof of knowledge of the Engine Problems, Defendant issued a Technical Service Bulletin (“TSB”) to notify its dealership network (and others in the service and repair industry) of the procedures necessary to rectify the defects.

Although Defendant recognized in 2008 that many of its vehicles contained Engine Problems, it actively concealed from the public, and the owners of this Class of Vehicles, the need to perform certain services and/or repairs to remedy these defective and potentially life threatening conditions.

Defendant chose not to inform its dealership network, or others who received the TSB, that the aforementioned Engine Problems were under Express Warranty, which the defendant was under a contractual duty to service and/or repair. Concealment of these Engine Problems was orchestrated to minimize and/or avoid the defendant’s contractual responsibility to the Plaintiff class of owners.

The applicable express warranty related to the Class of Vehicles and Engine Problems at issue is 8-years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The Engine Problems in this case did not arise in the named Plaintiffs’ vehicles until 2012, at which time the breach of warranty was discovered and realized.

Class: “Current owners of all 2004 through 2008 Ford passenger car and light truck vehicles sold in the United States and equipped with a 5.4 L engine and which include the original Powertrain Control Module (PC’M), the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and/or the Throttle Body Assembly. The class of vehicles is limited to those delivered within 8 years and having less than 80, 000 miles.”

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok,What do you suggest,does that mean I might be under warranty?

no, thats just some information to let you know that this engine is plagued with lots and lots of problems.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I called the dealer and they don't guarantee they can find problem but they will charge me $140 to inspect.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lol

it is my opinion, that if you are not experiencing any rattling noises near the front of the engine, no tapping/slapping, then i believe you may be dealing with a crankshaft position sensor problem

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah,it makes no sound,no tapping,it just feels like no gas is going through, and just shutsoff, and won't start after,when I turn the key it gets stuck idling for like 4to5 seconds but won't start.

i have seen these type of intermittent problems be caused by an iffy cps...a lot of times it doesnt set a fault code either.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll look into that,thank you David,if you think of anything else I would appreciate it.

i will keep thinking about it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

replace the egr solenoid and crank sensor. there has been a multitude of fixes for this condition on my IATN website.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok,I'll do this today.wish me luck,thanks.

let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sounds good,thank you.

any luck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went to auto zone but won't get my parts till tomorrow,I drove the expedition all day and it's been running fine, but I'm sure it will shutsoff soon,it last 2 days last time.

ok...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok now I get a code it's U0100.

ok. let me look that up.

The generic OBD trouble code U0100 is a serious situation where the signals between the electronic control module (ECM) or the powertrain control module (PCM) and a particular module have been lost. There could also be a problem with the CAN bus wiring disrupting communications. The vehicle will simply shut off at any time and will not restart as long as communications are interrupted. Most everything on present day vehicles is computer controlled. The engine and drivetrain are completely controlled by a computer network, its modules and actuators. The U0100 code is generic inasmuch as it has the same frame of reference on all vehicles. Somewhere within the CAN bus network (Controller Area Network) an electrical connector, wiring harness, module has failed, or the computer has crashed. The CAN bus allows microcontrollers and modules, as well as other devices communicate independently of a host computer. The CAN bus was designed for the automobile specifically.

thats the whole issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I chased all my wire harness all look good except one, the protective sleeving was all crisp and wires were contacting the side of engine (hot),you think that would cause miss communication?
i really do
i do believe that woyld cause it