Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Have a 2002 thunderbird that airbag light just came on 52000

Customer Question

have a 2002 thunderbird that airbag light just came on 52000 miles
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: dont think so
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just started yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Unfortunately, there is no easy, 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. When the AirBag light comes on, this means there is a problem in the system somewhere. There are literally dozens of parts and sensors in the system. The can be anything from a problem with the seat belts, to a faulty impact sensor to a problem with the air bag control module and everything in between. First thing to do is make sure all the seat belts are working properly and not tangled and/or pulled out with extra slack. If the seat belts look ok, then unfortunately, the next step is to have the diagnostic trouble codes scanned from the system. The codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem, and from there the correct repair can be made. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. But hopefully I at least shed a little light on the subject. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?