Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Dash and tail lights don't work, all fuses are good, yes,

Customer Question

dash and tail lights don't work, all fuses are good
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1991 f250
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked all fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank you
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 28 days ago.

Typically when your tail lights and dash lights both don't work at the same time it us usually a problem with the rheostat. Normally the rheostat causes a short and blows the fuse, but sometimes it just doesn't contact. Have you checked the wiring that runs down the driver's side rocker panel? It should be a brown wire that has 12v with the headlight switch on. Do you have working license plate lights?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** plate lights do not work either. However, the dome light in the cab does work with the dash switch. The owners book says there is a fusible link somewhere on the left front fender that may be involved. Do you know the precise location of the same?
Expert:  Jared D replied 26 days ago.

I don't have a diagram that shows where the fusible link is and I can't remember from memory. I can tell you that the fusible link is on the black wire with an orange stripe. If you check for 12 volts at the black with orange stripe wire at the main light switch it will tell you if the fusible link is bad.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Jared Finally get back to you; I have determined that it is the headlight switch that is faulty. So, how do I remove the lower dashboard bezel that surrounds the switches on both sides of steering column?
Expert:  Jared D replied 15 days ago.

Here are some diagrams showing how all of the dash panels and parts are removed. Let me know if this will work, there isn't a whole lot published on these trucks anymore. I guess they are considering 1991 vehicles old now.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good Morning, again. Thanks for the diagrams. There is a button on the light switch which is supposed to release the stem on the pull out knob. Problem: pushing the button does not release the stem. I can feel it engaging, but it won't let go of the stem. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Jared D replied 14 days ago.

Sometimes they get jammed up. Push in on the stem, push the button and then pull out. Sometimes you have to wiggle and jiggle it back and forth a little to get it to release.