HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2009 ford edge has wherling/ grinf sound from front end. can

Customer Question

2009 ford edge has wherling/ grinf sound from front end. can be heard from indide and from out side while doing U Turn
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 28 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 28 days ago.

Hello is the noise heard only when turning the steering wheel, can it be heard sitting still? Does it sound like it is coming from the front strut area?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
no noise while sitting still only when moving. made noise driving straight .far more noticable when steering .
Expert:  HDGENE replied 28 days ago.

Ok so you dont hear any noise when turning the wheel when sitting still or rocking the steering wheel. Does it occur only at a certain speed and can you drive out of the noise or does it get louder with vehicle speed? ANy change when braking?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
noise get louder as take tight speed increase so does sound but does stable at 60 mph. brakg has no effect on the sound
Expert:  HDGENE replied 28 days ago.

Ok, have to ask a few more questions when related to a noise to make sure I point you in the right direction. Is it a humming type noise that gets louder and quieter if you slightly turn the wheel left or right when driving in a straight line?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it is a humming sound`that increases as you slow and turn the wheel this is pehaps that at lower speeds and turning your not hearing the sound of tires..
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
If you l like in the morning I can talk with you on cell as I drive the car. I think late and we should continue in morning
Expert:  HDGENE replied 27 days ago.

Thats fine, I wont be on until 2 pm PST

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
5pm my time will price go up or same 28 I would like your best quess
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Let's have your best guess?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Will the 26 for phone be extra?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 27 days ago.

The phone would be extra yes. Im thinking since it goes with speed a possible issue wth a front wheel bearing or possibly the right side front halfshaft center bearing if it isnt an all wheel drive vehicle.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Not all wheel drive front only sound like the bearing is on right line maybe the front wheel drive. What do you think of the cost range for this. .200. 3000 any question
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I sorry not trust local ford dealer in area I just wanted right info to prevent be taken advantage of.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 27 days ago.

Definitely a few hundred bucks to make this type of repair. Needs to be isolated to a front side or axle bearing.