HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2006 f150 5.4 the a/c stop working and I took out the DO1

Customer Question

2006 f150 5.4 the a/c stop working and I took out the DO1 fuse and it worked for about 1 hr now it stop again. Before that it would blow fuses Everytime u turned the a/c on. We looked toake sure there where no bear wires .
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, its blowing the D01 fuse? where is this fuse located? What is the amperage size fuse you are replacing? When it works it blows cold? How many miles are on the vehicle and is it the original compressor? Does the compressor clutch look overheated?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the D 01 fuse, the fuse is located fuse box under the hood. Small on driver side theres no amperage on the fuse I've been told that it keeps current going one way? It is original compressor there's 102000 miles When it works it blows cold. Diode fuse 1 the clutch looks fine to me but not sure what an overheated one should look like
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It also blows the 10amp fuse inside when you turn it on. Everytime.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok you are replacing the ac diode? That isnt a fuse.do you loose power and ground to the ac clutch? Which fuse inside, for the a clutch? All a diode does is keep the circuit from backfeeding.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

just making sure im understanding the issue correctly. BAsically when the fuse isnt blwon the ac blows cold and no toher issues with the ac or blower system. It wont work when it blows an interior fuse panel 10 amp fuse correct, and im assuming it is for the ac clutch this fuse that blows? It is the original compressor and will work for different lengths of time. Does the ac clutch look overheated or worn/making noise or any wiring issues at the compressor itself?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The issue started with ac not blowing cold, replaced the relay started working, stopped again started blowing the 10amp ac clutch fuse, removed the diode and worked for about an hour then just stopped working put the diode back in and blew the fuse again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chased the wiring down and found no issues. Clutch appears worn but nothing making noise etc.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, more than likely it is due to an overheating ac clutch. As the air gap wears down over time it causes issues with the coil working harder to keep the clutch engaged and blowing cold. With the mileage on the compressor I would consider replacing the compressor assembly verses just the ac clutch coil, pulley and hub nd readjusting the air gap. Most auto parts stores sell compressor kits which will come with a new ac accumulator and orifice tube with a new compressor to offer a warranty on compressor replacemet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will give that a try. Thank you.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

That is the most common issue with this vehicle and system. Long as wiring is ok at the compressor, I would go with a new one. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.