Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Went to transmission shop, got a U code along with speed

Customer Question

Went to transmission shop, got a U code along with speed sensor code, wrong gear ratio, and a contol code. Question is ....... is it the trans?, or does the U code make it 50-50. My service rep at the Ford dealer said go ahead and swap, saying it would be a waste for the 187$ diag. Please advise, TY
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 25 days ago.

Can you tell me what the fault codes where that you got?

What are you working on, make and model as well as engine size please?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I filled that info out already, don't know what happened with it, but here it is again.
Ford Freestyle 2005 AWD, 187,000 miles
Intermittent duplication of physical symptoms, tranny and engine light
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
3.0 L duratec
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I just saw the 2005 had/has a class action lawsuit on it as well. Is this corrected? I ask because I don't want to buy another transmission that just may go out in 40K miles. I have had no complaints up to this point, but what about a new/used tranny?
Expert:  Ron replied 25 days ago.

I would have to agree with your Service rep on this one, with the amount of miles you have on the car and the codes your getting in most cases this means the transmission has failed and replacement is the next step. The CVT transmission is known for failure at this point and all codes your getting point to this as well. I would go with a reman transmission unless you can find a low mileage used unit. I have heard the same thing and that is there is a calss action lawsuit but I have no information. I can say this transmission is known for many problems and has a very bad history.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
That sucks, it was a good ride. Have a good day.
Expert:  Ron replied 25 days ago.

I would agree and sorry I dont have good news for you. Thank you as well . Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.