Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Was drive engine knocking and pull over put oil in stoped

Customer Question

Was drive engine knocking and pull over put oil in stoped knocking then it started knockig again powertrain malfunctioned light when on sound like driving over lose gravel and then it was smoking and oil was leaking out pulled over and have not been driving the van. A mechanic said I need a whole new engine. Is this right.please help m
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It sounds like the engine had a crank shaft rod knock and may have been due to low oil as it quieted down when oil was added at first.This usually causes the rod to become loose and can actually knock a hole through the engine block which will then cause a louder knock noise or the knock to return and damage the engine to a point that the entire engine needs replaced.This can cause smoke to escape the cylinder or oil on the exhaust to smoke as well.

This does sound correct unfortunately and can be common.The crank shaft rod can fail on its own suddenly or due to lack of engine oil in some cases.

You can search around for a used engine or remanufactured one for a cheaper cost if needed.One place I use is http://www.car-part.com and they can ship it to the mechanic.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hello I am just checking in with you to see if there is anything else I can help with here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.