Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2005 f350 with 3v 5.4l. Original engine replaced at 234,000.

Customer Question

2005 f350 with 3v 5.4l. Original engine replaced at 234,000. ATK replacement from NAPA installed. Truck never seemed to run right. Lack of power. Back fire through intake. Installed after market injectors, problem worse. Installed OEM injectors, back fire went away. Still no power. Short version, replaced coils, intake, intake runner motor, maf, cats twice, electronic pedal, throttle body and tps all said needed by mechanic. Finally, ATK sent a replacement motor saying problem in phaser function. Many thousands of dollars later, same issue. My Actron shows that under acceleration the timing retards to almost 0* and the baro pressure is in the 29-30 inches range. The ford mechanic says his computer shows timing ok, but low baro. The only codes ever shown were lean codes before intake replacement. The motor came with new vct solenoids. At a loss. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

When the problem is occurring and timing advance at zero, what are the two knock sensors reading?

Is there any engine noise at any time? Ticking, knocking, spark knock?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometimes there is a little valve pinging/spark knock, but usually only hear it after major loss of speed and tranny down shifts. Don't know about knock sensor. How do I read it? Fordot before, also new fuel pump.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

You would read it just like the timing advance pid. Pids would be labeled KS1 KS2

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My Actron scanner is not capable of reading these. I will have to go back to the mechanic to see if he can. Another symptom I see on scanner is on any acceleration, calculated load goes to 100% and throttle command sometimes goes to 99%
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Load and throttle pids good readings on acell, even light acell. Most timing lack of advance concerns are caused by the PCM retarding timing due to high knock sensor counts, which is usually caused by engine noise, exhaust leaks,loose spark plugs, valve train noise,spark knock etc...

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Kind of strange you can read all those pids but not knock sensor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still can't find ks pids on snap on scanner verdict 07. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a picture of the pid selection menu and attach it here? Might be called something else. I am only familiar with Ford IDS scanner.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Kenny Z

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Trying to get the truck scheduled back in to the Ford dealer to view those ks pids. They are booked up until late this month. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 24 days ago.

Sometimes you can reset kam on the road, and the PCM will ignore the knock sensors for a brief period of time. Best performed on a quiet road where you can pull over. To reset kam disconnect both battery terminals and touch together for 5 seconds then reattach. Drive truck and see if power is restored. It doesn't always work so you might try it several times.

If power comes back then you know the PCM is seeing too much engine noise and causing the lack of advance. Then you can concentrate your efforts on trying to find any unusual engine noise that the knock sensors are detecting.