Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Rough running after tappet replacement, 2010 5.4, myself,

Customer Question

rough running after tappet replacement
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 5.4
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: will there be a compression problem untill lifters fill with oil
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: at same time as tappet replacement
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

how long has it been running since replacement and how many miles you put on it ?

have you checked oil pressure ?

what was the original issue for replacement

how many miles on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
replaced timming chains,tensioners and phasers, noticed a damaged rocker arm on right side, scoring on cam. replaced cam, rockers and tappets on right bank, when starting was running very rough and stalling. shut down then to avoid further damage. only been running 1 minute
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
was wondering if the problem is the new tappets havent pumped up yet causing a compressing issue due to valves not opening fully yet

was the truck prior , had like a miss and then stalls and dies and you had too crank it up again and then will run fine

was there cam pahser sensor fault codes , have you clear codes & scanned again.

you need to hook up oil pressure gauge on it & and see what is oil pressure ?

is it good pressure and we need few minutes to pump up the lifters , yes it will need a little , if you let it sit and dont rev up

you want do any more damage if there was a problem, damaged would have happened at initial start up

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Will give it an extra minute and try again, oil pressure was fine before repair started, had blown seals on timing chain tensioners
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i have the right hand valve cover off. was making sure all rockers were still in place. Would cranking with spark plugs out crank fast enough to fill lifters. With cover off i can make sure oil has made it to the top. or would that take too long being that it has a new oil filter. or better to put back together and try

yes might take forever , you should trust the gauges

should pump up after few minutes . if oil pressure is good i would not worry ,let her idle few minutes

as long as timing correct

those heads in the 5.4 are big problem, we always pull them both out and send out to machine shop and they redo the oil passages

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 23 days ago.

hey , just checking on you ,

what you end up doing with it ?