Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 91 Ford tempo went to change the passenger side

Customer Question

I have a 91 Ford tempo went to change the passenger side half shaft and when I put it back and it doesn't seem like it sitting in all away and went to test drive and then it just disengaged
JA: Are you fixing your Tempo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes my daughter drove the wheel bearing out of it so I had to replace the knuckle new half shaft and a new wheel bearing went to reassemble the passenger side and it doesn't seem like it wants to see it in a way it seems like it locks in but then like I can still sees a small gap between the half shaft and the transmission and then when I want to drive it it just disengaged itself it came back out
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: No the circle up actually doesn't seem like it's locking Anil away and the halfshaft actually disengaged itself from the transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The circlip not the circle and it's an automatic transmission
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 28 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Get the shaft splined together. Then give the shaft a swift hard push towards the transaxle to collapse the cir clip and get it then to expand once locked into the differential. Sometimes it takes a few tries. You should be able to tell when it is seated because the seal will be covering the shiny surface on the shaft so it can not leak. If needed hitting the end of the shaft using a wood block and mallet will work as well.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I've tried that several times can you tell me what that silver pen is that sits in between the two have shaft because I can see the half shaft on the other side and then I see this up so bad about the size of my pinky this vertical up-and-down and it almost seems like if the when I'm trying to pound the other half shaft in like it was hitting that and not being able to go in and seet it all away can you tell me what it what it is with that that transmission or is that supposed to be there it's automatic transmission and if so am I just not hitting it hard enough

That pin is supposed to be there. It is called the pinion shaft. It is like the pin through the center of a rear axle differential holding the spider gears in place. You can pop off the clip then insert the axle shaft to see how far it should go in. Then you will know when you have pushed it in far enough with the clip installed. There is also the possibility the prior failures wobbled the shaft like cray and that has worn out the clips ability to spread enough and lock in place.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The old chef that I removed was still locked in place and the new shaft a seems like it locked in place with them when I want to drive the car and it actually just pop back out which makes me wonder if I'm not getting seated far enough for the clip but I actually tried to put the shaft and without the cliff just to see how far like you were saying because I have some pretty good knowledge and it seem like it's still only went as far as it did with the clip So now what should I do

You need to compare your 2 shafts, they may be different.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Yeah that was the first thing that I did and the shafts seem the same to me

The only things to blame for a axle shaft not locking in

• Wrong axle shaft
  • Damaged cir clip
  • Not pushing the axle shaft in far enough
  • The differential side gears damaged and holding the shaft in place once locked in.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I'll look at it again tomorrow and use a tape measure to see how far the chefs to go in on my daughter drove it home like that and the old axle was actually locked in there really well so I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out why the new axle won't stay in Would the auto parts store sell the new circlet because maybe the actually sent me had a old circlet being that it was a remanufactured axle

I doubt the parts store has those clips in stock, they would probably have to order it.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I hope not

Let me know if there is anything else on this concern you need from me or are you pleased with my help.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 21 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris