Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Roaring sound in my Ford Escape sounds like it's coming from

Customer Question

Roaring sound in my Ford Escape sounds like it's coming from the rear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

What year? Has anything been replaced yet? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2013
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I took to dealer expecting to have a new wheel bearing. They said bearings were ok.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I took back to where I just bought new tires he rubbed on the tires and checked them. Everything checks out there too ok.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it was loud before I put the new tires on. So I guess that rules out it being the tires
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Front wheel drive or all wheel drive? Did dealer say what they thought noise was? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Front wheel
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said tires were starting to "Cupp". But they are brand new and I took them back and they checked them and said no they were fine. So I dunno.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like a wheel bearing problem. If you are driving down the road and swerve/turn sharply right and noise stops that would mean problem with right wheel bearing. If noise stops or is less when swerving/turning left that would mean left wheel bearing. Bearings or tires are the only thing that would cause this noise and tires are unlikely especially if new. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It sounds like it's from the rear though. So would the swerving have any "bearing" no pun intended, on the sounds.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like a problem with the rear wheel bearing and doing above test will let you know which side has the failed bearing. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea I've tried doing it just now and can't tell any difference really
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems perhaps when I turn to left it might change just a little bit I'm not 100% sure. It's hard to tell.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If it seems to change a little when turning left then I'd go with the left wheel bearing. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.