Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2011 F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost 6 SPD When

Customer Question

I have a 2011 F150 Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost 6 SPD When Pulling My 5th Wheel RV
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I Had it in for service with a heating problem my guage was going into the yellow my read out showed up to 117 degrees.My transmission had know smell of being burned.They have replaced the torque converter because it showed possible slippage.I will be taking it on a trip this week just wondering what would be a dangerous hot temperature for the read out to read I do not want it to overheat
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: Transmission was red it was changed when they replaced the torque converter which has just been done
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Safe temperator service department said 150 but I didn`t feel comfortable with that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Your service dept is right , safe temp should be right around 150 to 160 . Usually the transmission wile pulling a load will run 25 to 30 degrees cooler then the engine temp.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still not comfortable with your response my temperature when pulling my RV is 97 C my temperature went up to 118 c what is the high limit in c
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Was this before or after the replaced the converter was replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This was before they replaced the torque converter. My question is if I have a heating problem in the future what is the high end temperature I
have to be concerned about?Dont want to damage the transmission .Thanks Ron
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Your first post stated your readings where right at 117 degrees and that would be fine . You second post says it was 97 C. Which converts to over 200 degrees which is to hot. Which ones are the actual readings your getting. The transmission in most cases will run 20 to 30 degrees cooler then the engine temp.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I had the problem it went to 117 C. It normally runs at 97 C. What I want to know is when is the temperature in the danger zone in C.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Okay I thought you where talking in degrees on your first post. Even at 97C that to hot meanig its over 200 degrees and 117 C would be extremely hot so the answer it yes its in the danger Zone. The transmission properly cooling will usually never exceed engine temp.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think we are having a problem with C&F they tell me 97 C is okay pulling the trailer that the temperature could be as high as 150C this at the Ford Dealer.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

That seem extreme to me but its possiable depending on out side temp as well as the weight of the trailer. Have you consider adding an extra external transmission oil cooler. The cooler you can keep the transmission the longer it will last.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
truck has heavy duty trailer package which includes extra rad for cooling.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Well I am out of ideas so I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something new to offer.