Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Car won't start

Customer Question

Car won't start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

When you confirmed it is getting gas. Does that mean you verified good fuel pressure or there is fuel injector pulse occurring?

Will it start at full throttle?

Will it start briefly using starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good pressure will not start full throttle or with starting fluid
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Changed plugs checked gap.

For a car to start it needs air, fuel, spark, compression.

You have ruled all of those out with your tests. So we are going to need to check them again. A vehicle that will not start on starting fluid means it has low compression or no spark. Are you sure your compression gauge is accurate and all plugs are getting good vibrant blue spark?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Verified injectors are working. The most I can get is after sitting for a few hours it will fire once.
Rechecked compression is 180psi 1st, 170 2nd, 155 on the third, and 150 on fourth. Spark is white not blue.

Are you getting battery voltage to the coil?

Did you check spark from all plugs?

Fire once meaning it will start then immediately stall?

What is the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked spark on all plugs. White spark not blue. I can't measure fuel pressure, but plugs are wet with fuel.

At this point we will need to check

Battery voltage to the coil?

Fuel pressure?

There are no other things to check at this time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Got 12volts to coil pack. Don't know how to measure fuel pressure this car does not have the pressure thing that looks like a tire valve

Here is a picture showing the test port.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now not there, the only thing I see with a vavle is on the firewall and it says evap service port

Someone may have swapped to a newer year model fuel rail since yours does not match the Ford diagrams. So you will have to use fittings to T into the fuel rail to check the pressure or do so at the fuel filter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This car was bought new. Maybe it was mid year change or something I don't know.
I took the filter hose off and filled a 20oz bottle within seconds. Re pressurized the line by cycling the key. I'm getting good gas man what else can it be?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looking back at your comments I missed your question about the car starting then stalling. No the car didn't start just fired once. I thought maybe the plugs were shot so I replaced them to prevail. Could the Cam sensor stop the car from starting? The Crack check for Fords seems to be working. When I try to start the car the RPM needle moves a little and the check engine light goes off.

The CEL going off indicates the CKP signal is getting to the PCM.

The fuel injectors will not pulse if the CMP sensor reading is bad.

Can you hold the throttle at wide open, crank the engine, and spray starting fluid direct into the throttle body. It has to start with spark and compression

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah we tried that and no it wouldn't fire. Since we talked last I've changed the Cam Sensor and I'm now working on replacing the Crank sensor. I doubt it will work but the only things I have left is that sensor and timing. With such good compression I don't think it the timing but I'm changing the cheaper things first. I can't understand why this car won't start. :(

The ignition coil is what I would replace next based on the starting fluid not even working which bypasses the fuel system components.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 29 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Moose, is there a way to check the coil? Ohm reading or something. Earlier as you know I checked that there is 12volts going in. With it unplugged I should be able to get an Ohm reading at the secondary coil terminal right ? If so do you know what that should be?
Sorry been busy at work and haven't had time to work on the car

A coil resistance test is not accurate. A spark tester to verify the coil can produce 1/2 inch intense spark is more accurate.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I was talking to some guys here at work and it was mentioned that autozone will test it. I'm going to give them a call before replacing it. It was replaced earlier in the year and it was quite costly. I don't have a spark tester other than a light that plugs onto the plug and the other end into the wire. That light comes on but doesn't give any other reading
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok I'll look into getting on of these. The car died while driving. I went the next day to get it towed and it started and ran for about 1/2 block before it died again. Is that normal for a bad coil. Can these be intermittent before going totally bad?

A coil can be intermittent.

So far there is not much about your car failure that is normal. It should be running based on your replying info except on the spark appearing weak.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Well I'm no mechanic and I'm using YouTube and you to help me get this car running. I thought if it wasn't the Crank sensor then the timing must be off like the belt jumped a tooth or two. I will check the coil first before moving to the timing.
I checked all plugs are getting spark but yes I can't tell you how good the spark was, but wouldn't a weak spark ignite starting fluid?

It depends how weak the spark is, which I can not see. Weak spark can result in no ignition of the combustion.

Compression we want to see 160-180. Minimum is 120

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Compression is good 180 #1, 170 #2, 155. #3, 150. #4.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 28 days ago.

I see no reason to check the timing with those numbers.