Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 Winnebago with a Ford 450 platform. It's a v10

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Winnebago with a Ford 450 platform. It's a v10 gasoline engine. The battery died so I disconnected it and recharged it. After reconnecting, the engine starts fine, but will but rev past 1000 rpm. The throttle is non-responsive.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and yes. I let it idle for an hour.
JA: What year is your F450?
Customer: 2005 chassis and engine
JA: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it myself as the RV is in my back yard and won't move. I've tried letting it idle for an hour. I've tried the various sequences of turning it on, idling for a minute with all accessories off, then with the AC on full blast for a minute, then putting it in drive wit the brake on for a minute. According to the manual, I am then supposed to drive it for 10 minutes, but I can not drive it because the throttle won't react.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David,,,,There is a ford tsb related directly to your concern.It requires reprogramming the pcm to eliminate this concern.

TSB 08-18-2

FORD:

2005-2007 Crown Victoria
2006 Mustang, Mustang
2004-2006 F-150, F-150
2005-2006 E-350, E-450, F-Super Duty
2006 F-53 Motorhome Chassis
2006-2007 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer

LINCOLN:

2005-2007 Town Car
2006 Mark LT

MERCURY:

2005-2007 Grand Marquis
2006-2007 Mountaineer, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB(s) 08-5-13, 07-23-12 and 06-25-8 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2004-2006 4.6L and 5.4L F-150 (excluding F-150 Heritage), 2006 5.4L Mark LT, 2005-2006 6.8L E-350 / E-450, 2005-2006 6.8L F-Super Duty (F-250 to F-550), 2006 6.8L F-53 Motorhome Chassis, 2006-2007 4.0L Explorer 4 dr, 2007 4.0L Explorer Sport Trac, 2006-2007 4.0L Mountaineer, 2006 4.0L Mustang, 2006 - 2007 4.6L 3V Explorer / Explorer Sport Trac / Mountaineer, 2006 4.6L 3V Mustang, and 2005-2007 Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Towncar vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.9 and higher or 54.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.
  2. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.
  3. With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature(greater than 170 °F (77 °C)coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.
  4. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
    1. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees, and/or DTC P115E is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04B.
    2. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115E is not present, but driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

NOTE:VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A PCM AND TCM REQUIRE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING. THIS COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS OUTLINED BY THE IDS. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE KEY CYCLE PROCEDURE WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE IDS PROMPTS, WILL CAUSE THE COORDINATED REPROGRAMMING TO FAIL. THE PCM WILL BE UPDATED BUT THE TCM WILL NOT BE UPDATED AND NEW FILES WILL NOT BE INSTALLED. IT IS CRITICAL TO FOLLOW THE IDS PROMPTS. SOME VEHICLES MAY REQUIRE SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT. REPROGRAMMING CONCERNS/ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) OR VEHICLE COMMUNICATION MODULE (VCM) BECOMING DISCONNECTED, LOW BATTERIES ON THE INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM (IDS) OR THE IDS GOING INTO ANY TYPE OF SLEEP MODE, OR LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE. IF THERE WAS AN INTERRUPTION DURING REPROGRAMMING, MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL IDS SESSION THAT WAS CREATED FOR THE VEHICLE IS NOT DELETED. IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE SESSION IS NOT USED OR DELETED BEFORE THE MODULES ARE COMPLETELY REPROGRAMMED, FURTHER REPROGRAMMING ERRORS CAN OCCUR. THE MODULE RECOVERY PROCEDURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AND IT IS CRITICAL THAT MODULE SWAPPING IS NOT PERFORMED FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE. TO REGAIN COMMUNICATION WITH A MODULE THAT HAS BEEN ERASED DURING REPROGRAMMING, RESUME THE ORIGINAL SESSION ONCE THE IDS IS RE-BOOTED.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have the $800 subscription to be able to install the PCM IDS. Since I can't drive the RV, I'm having a hard time getting a mechanic to come out due to their liability insurance. Is there a low price component I can use to connect a laptop to the RV to load the PCM IDS? My alternative is os remove the PCM and take it to a shop that can install it. Any other ideas? Thanks.

nothing like that that i am aware of. taking ot out to a shop seems to be your best bet.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought an inexpensive code reader and found codes P2112, 2104, 2111 all pointing to a problem with the throttle body. With those codes, the PCM would put the engine in a self-protect mode, disabling the throttle.... I'll try to remove the air intake hoses and clean the throttle, clear the codes, and try running the re-learn procedure to see if that does the trick. If not, it likely needs a new throttle body.