Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Replaced master cylinder and some brake lines suv came in

Customer Question

replaced master cylinder and some brake lines suv came in for just set of pads still spongy brakes we just replaced the mastercylinder we also tried to bleed with scanner
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 9 months ago.

hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. The brakes evidently can be bled normally as long as you don't get air in the HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) which shouldn't happen.
If the HCU is replaced or air is introduced a special tool is required to properly bleed the HCU.
"The brake master cylinder and Hydraulic Control Unit must be bled using Anti-lock Brake Adapter T90P-50-ALA and Jumper T93T-50-ALA. If this procedure is not followed, air will be trapped in the HCU which eventually leads to a spongy brake pedal." Hope this helps you solve your problem and if you require further assistance I;ll be happy to do so. Good luck.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

WILL THE SNAP ON SCANNER BLEED IT OUT THIS IS WHAT WE ALWAYS USED PETER IN THE PAST IT WORKED GREAT THIS ONE ISJUST BEING A PAIN ALSO TECH WAS ASKING WHY A BLEEDER ON THE SIDE OF THE MASTER CYLINDER

That's so you can do a bench bleed of the master before you install it which is always good practice to do . But perhaps air is not your problem as we have run into caliper problems not returning properly, Can you see any air coming out now when you bleed it or just feel nor right?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no looks like all fluid and good pressure tried scanner bleeding god knows how many times also three different types of bleeding tech still all same results it will stop just a real spongy pedal

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

ok just as I thought we have run into this especially on older or high miler vehicles . The calipers get dry inside on the piston being out so far ,so when you push them back in, they don't return properly and the only solution is to either O/H them or replace them. You can do a pair fr or r at a time to locate the real culprit but at that mileage I would do them all. hOPE THIS HELPS YOUR ISSUE AND iF i CAN ASSIST YOU FURTHER i'LL BE HAPPY TO DO SO.Don't forget to rate my answer, thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK WE DID THE FRONT ONES ALREADY PETER STILL SAME RESULTS YOUR SAYING TRY BOTH REAR ONES TO SIR WE ALSO REPLACED THE HOSES TO

yes then that would eliminate that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK WE REPLACED THREE CALIPER AND HOSES ONLY ONE RR IS LEFT REPLACED THREE MASTERCYLINDERS

When the engine is not running does it still feel spongy and how far down does the pedal go?